Welcome to London, England.
Destination for 65 million tourists annually. Home to over 200 museums (one of them a wax museum), 9 palaces, 5 premier league football teams, a royal family, a giant Ferris wheel and big tower clock named Ben.
London is awesome, or as the locals say, ace. And if you’re planning your first visit to the British capital, we’ve got you covered.
So before you get lost amongst the craziness that is London, here are your London eyez…
We don’t need no education
The famous London-based band, Pink Floyd, coined it perfectly – on vacation, we don’t need no education. However, if you do find yourself in the mood for some eye-popping, jaw-dropping education, London is definitely the place to be. There are over 200 museums throughout London! No, I don’t expect you to visit them all. But, you should definitely check these out:
- Tate Modern – one of the most famous museums for modern art in the world, this unique museum is a top tourist attraction and da definite must.
- British Museum – this world-renown museum exhibits amazing artifacts from all over the globe, from prehistoric times up to modern times.
- National Gallery – this mind-blowing gallery is located in a beautiful building in Trafalgar Square, and is home to important works of art throughout the history of Western Europe.
- Natural History Museum – this grand museum boasts some of the rarest animal skeletons in the world, including a massive dinosaur collection, making this museum a must!
- Madame Tussauds – although this famous wax museum probably isn’t what you had in mind when you heard “museum”, however this so-real-it’s-creepy wax museum is fun for the whole family!
Not just tea and biscuits
Not that there’s anything wrong with tea and biscuits, but the London food scene is orgasmic, from a food-porn point of view. Countless food markets, sweet shops, street food and coffee shops (for afternoon tea) leave you with a taste for more. Oh, and let’s not forget about over 20 restaurants with at least one Michelin star! And besides the amazing culinary experience that London has to offer, there is a vivid nightlife, with endless amounts of pubs, some of the world’s best nightclubs and even a few casinos to get your gamble on. After spending a day or two getting an education in the London museums, it’s time to let loose!
You can’t leave without…
While in London, there are a number of things that you MUST do. Here’s my personal list of random musts:
- Selfie with a queen’s guard and his ridiculous hat.
- Catch a football game – with 5 Premier League teams in London, your only dilemma should be which game to go to.
- Ride the London Eye. It’s the huge Ferris wheel that appears in every skyline view of London.
- Buckingham Palace. Here you can fulfil #1 as well.
- Big Ben. Just because.
- Abbey road. If you don’t know what this is, don’t bother coming to London.
- Shopping. Anywhere in London is a good shopping spot.
- Hyde Park. A great day if you’re lucky enough to have a sunny day.
- Tour the London Tower, with an amazing 900-year history.
- Speak the slang with a local. Hopefully you’ll be able to understand a bit more than I did!