I’ve been watching couples around me. Not a creepy, stalker type of watching. Noticing. And the one thing that really stood out to me was how expensive it seems to be in a relationship. Especially at the beginning of a relationship, when both sides are trying to impress one another. Expensive dinner dates, B&B getaways and gifts. And if all this isn’t enough, I noticed that couples tend to spend money in ways and amounts that single people simply don’t.
Now, you’re probably thinking that I’m going to rant on about how love is expensive and that you can’t maintain a relationship if you can’t afford it. Well, at first glance, that’s the way it seems. But then I thought about it for a second and quickly came to the realization that love isn’t expensive. Or at least it doesn’t have to be. And if anyone tells you otherwise, it’s complete bullshit. Because the truth of the matter is actually very simple.
Love don’t cost a thing.
And the reasoning is simple. Love is priceless. So how could you possibly put a price on something priceless? Exactly, you can’t.
There are plenty of ways for couples to spend time together, get to know each other and to fall in love without going bankrupt. In fact, the best dates are free, or close to it.
Mother Nature lends a hand…
If you’re looking for some help with dating on a budget, Mother Nature has got you covered. Some of the best dates are free and simply waiting for you. You might not consider some of these ideas as dates, but anytime you spend getting to know the potential love of your life is worth the effort.
- Sunsets always set the mood – Sunsets always set a romantic mood, whether you’re watching from the beach, a mountain-top or even from the window of your apartment. Simply sitting together, talking, while the sun slowly sets and the blue turns to orange is a perfect way to start the evening.
- Sunrises for the early birds – For the early birds among us, watching the sunrise together is even better than watching the sunset. There’s something about watching the day begin that’s a little bit more exciting than watching the day end. Also, there are very few people up at sunrise, so you can find some quiet alone time almost anywhere you’d like.
- Parks, gardens & picnics – A weekend picnic at the park. A glass of wine while strolling through a colorful garden. Dinner under the stars. Nature offers plenty of romance if you look in the right direction.
- The stars in your eyez – Another great and romantic way to spend time together is to simply sit under the light of the stars and gaze above. Talk about your past, present and future. Your dreams, your aspirations and your inspiration. It might just be me, but there is something soothing about staring deep into the skies above and digging deep within to discuss matters of the heart.
- Views from above – One of my favorite things in the world is a view from above. Whether it’s driving up to a spot that overlooks the entire city, a mountain-top with vast nature below, or even the top of a sky-scraper, it’s another great way to spend time together.
Romance, not luxury…
Another important thing to remember is that luxury isn’t romance. Romance is romance. Luxury is expensive. People tend to mix the two, and end up thinking that love is expensive. Wrong! Be a gentleman. Listen, smile, look deep into her eyes. Light candles, bring flowers, compliment her all the time. You can be romantic even if you can’t offer luxurious things. Sure, luxury can be romantic, but it isn’t necessarily romantic. So don’t worry if you can’t afford that 3-star restaurant, women love a man that can cook!
Love is about connection. And dating is about finding that connection. As long as you understand this and focus on who is with you, rather than what you are doing, you’ll always see that love is priceless, yet doesn’t cost a thing…